Saturday 23 December 2006

Summerized Info of TX. Plus Introduction To The HepC Forum

When reading my page from yesterday I had not realised that it was so long and laborious, and readers must have had a job getting to the end of it, because I did. I came to the conclusion that in the interest of readers and myself it would be better for me to try and summarize it the best way I can.

By the sixth week I had developed a chest infection, and experienced acute shortness of breath. I was prescribed antibiotics and the infection took at least two weeks to disappear. In these two weeks I was off tx and almost came to the point of never wanting to go back on it again. On the eighth week I was advised by my nurse to start back on tx taking Ribavirin 2x2wks then 3 thereon, plus Interferon x 1 per week. I still felt pretty awful on tx but decided to grin and bear it as I thought to myself what have I got to loose.


On the tenth week I was advised to up the dose of Ribavirin to 3 per day then on the eleventh week I received a call from my nurse to reduce the Rib. to 2 per day as my haemoglobin had dropped to 8.6. On the twelfth week I was once more advised to up the dose to 3 Rib. per day. Then on the fifteenth week I received another call from my nurse to stop the tx altogether due to a haemoglobin of 8.4. My results at the end of tx were:

ALP - 66(30-135) ALBUMIN - 43 (30-51)
BILIRUBIN - 8-(0-17) PLATELETS - 211 (150-450)


HAEMOGLOBIN - 8.4 (11.5-16.5) NEUTROPHILS - 2.6 (2.7.5)

ALT -69 (0-50) LOG DROP 1 only (368464 - 40852)

THYROID - 1.6 (0.35-5.5)
I was pretty disappointed to hear this because two weeks earlier I had been put on Cyclizine 50mg for nausea and as a result of this I was beginning to feel much better. So folks that's my fifteen weeks experience of sheer hell on tx and it has taken me at least two months to finally accept that it was not for me. The hope is that as another hospital have recently accepted me as a new patient, I may be treated with a less invasive cocktail, so I have been told. More about that and tx later in my blog. Meanwhile the last few months are being spent in recovery from tx. What a relief! Now I can start living again and hope for a much better ride the next time, one lives in hope!!!!!!!!!




Now for my introduction to The HepC Forum

First of all this is Ron (left) the inventor of the HepC Forum who has worked tirelessly in creating a means of reaching out to the globle community. Without his knowledge, experience, and continual support I am one of many who has found the forum a godsend.



This
is Martin and Carol on the right at The Covent Garden Gathering of hepc friends from the forum. As I learned after joining the forum, Carol is the moderator who is always there to help, support and sort out various problems that occur on the forum. Martin is the guru of the forum who has created his own HepC site which is a must for not only beginners but for everyone seeking information re:HepC.


My introduction to the forum was like a bolt out of the blue, don't ask me how I got there but when I arrived I was overwhelmed by what I found. Having never been on a forum in my life this was a whole new experience for me. At first I was not sure what to say as I was in such a hurry to find some help and support. I need not of worried so much because I was given a really good welcome from Carol, Martin and a few other Hepc forum member's who readily offered their help, support and advice to me. When I first joined the Hepc forum I was introduced to Martin's web site which has given me more information and understanding about HepC that I could ever have hoped to learn from the hospital where I was being treated! His site is an inspiration to us all, in particular for his insight, knowledge and the work he has put into creating it. I have appreciated all the help, support and advice that he, his wife Carol and everyone else on the forum has given myself and my husband since meeting them.

Meeting people on the forum has been a wonderful experience for me and even though my lovely husband has supported me all the way, I still felt isolated re: HepC, not knowing where to turn to and trying to deal with all sorts of health issues on my own. Since joining the forum I have become much happier and more positive in my skin. I have met quite a few friends who have supported and encouraged me with my illness, and my only thoughts are that it would have been so helpful if I had met all these unselfish supportive people when I was first diagnosed with Hepc. I know! one should never wish for what has gone, and the past is the past, so hey, I am now concentrating on staying with positivity and a much brighter future.

Thank you all so much for your help and advice, Ed and I are so pleased to meet such a wonderful bunch of people.

Need to sign out now to give Tommy (cat) some serious tlc as he is feeling very neglected and missing his cuddles since I started blogging. Oh dear! someone else is showing serious signs that he's lost me forever, over and out....you now have my full attention sweet heart.

Marie







No comments: